Wednesday, October 27, 2004

My exams are over, and due to this fact I am back to my normal college self again. Of course the end of midterms was cause for much celebration, and I have spent the past week under the influence of many a drink and other things. On the other hand I’ve managed to quit smoking…. tobacco, so that’s good. Last night was no exception, and I still feel the ill effects of my previous evening’s consumption.

I found myself last night, at Café Campus where 60s 70s and 80s music is played on Tuesdays. I like this arrangement very much for the selection is an exquisite mix of cheese and class which I so do enjoy. The place gets very packed quite quickly due to its popularity, and I find that most of the time, I need to show up quite early in order to skip the lineups. Yesterday was no exception, but we didn’t have to wait long to enter. Since we were celebrating the birthday of a friend of mine I found it suitable to purchase the first round of drinks. Since no one obliged for the next one, except the birthday girl of course, I obliged a second round as well, which left me quite undamaged since Café Campus is also famous for its 6 dollar pitchers on Tuesday nights. Hence it only took me a short time before realizing how deliriously happy I was, and went off to the dance floor to experiment with my newly acquired fluidity.

At about 1:30 the birthday girl expressed a desire to return to her resting place since she had consumed quite a bit more than she had originally intended, and felt the effects beyond her control. Being the gentleman that I am, I returned her to her home, and departed.

It was in this moment that it dawned upon me how drunk I was, and realized all of a sudden, that I might have difficulty walking the remaining two blocks to my abode. However, I persevered with a bit of stumbling around, and found my way to bed without incident, if I recall properly.

It occurs to me that I was acting perfectly normal, not slurring my words, and, whilst I was responsible for my friend, did nothing stupid, nor gave away the level of my intoxication. However upon being relieved of that responsibility, I was plastered. This brings me to a conclusion which has popped up several times during my drinking bouts. If I am responsible for someone or something I manage to clear the alcohol from my head for awhile.

Indeed several times in the past I have found myself quite drunk until something bad happened, such as the time when a friend of mine got ill and had to go to the hospital. All of a sudden, bang, I was sober again. Adrenaline rushes do the same, but yesterday was no such thing. I was responsible for a friend of mine, and I stepped up to it. I am certain that had I spent the evening with no such thoughts in my head, I would not have managed a successful return home, unassisted.

No comments: