Tuesday, August 17, 2004

And now for something completely different!

I just returned from a volunteering job I do. It’s fun. I like the people I work with, and since my job is to interview and place people in volunteering positions, I get to meet new people every day. However today disaster struck. And this is how it began.

At aboot 12:15 I was in a hurry trying to get ready to make the 12:23 bus. I was running all over the place getting my stuff together. Anywho I managed to find everything, put on my sandals, my hat, my wallet etc… I made it just in time for the bus. I entered, sat down, and began my habitual observations of people while listening to music.

Suddenly an odor begins to tickle my nostrils. It was a foul odor, stank, dank, unpleasant, somehow familiar. Not BO. It was with great relief that I exited the bus to escape the smell… Odd it was following me. It then occurred to me that the odor was emanating from my sandals. Fuck.

I am downtown, I have 15 minutes before working. I haven’t eaten. I have stinky feet. I’m going to be interviewing people all afternoon. So naturally I grab a bite and tell myself that I’ll just wash up before working. I eat along the way. Get to work. Enter bathroom. Start scrubbing the sandals. It is in mid scrubbing that it occurs to me that my sandals are now wet, and that I’ll be interviewing people in wet footwear. This fact doesn’t bother me for some reason. I finish. Fuck they still stink. So I let them out to dry and prepare for my first interview.

My brilliant solution was to take the sandals off and put them by the window in between interviews. Whilst the sandals dried quickly, the smell was still present mixed in with an odor of soap. How very unusual.

Needless to say the experience was unpleasant for me, but the fact that I was interviewing men only made me feel better for some reason which doesn’t make sense at the end of the day. My boss and the people I work with laughed at me. I didn’t get much help. One person told me it only reeked cause I was looking for the smell. Meh…
And so well that’s it. It’s not much of a story, but I wish to relate how very stupid I feel.

No comments: