Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Permit me to reflect upon an irony which I have been faced with many a times in the recent past. One of my jobs for the summer, by jobs I mean time wasters more than anything else, is working at the Department of Economics at Concordia University updating the web site, and assisting in basically whatever needs to be done. I am the all purpose office bitch as well a mild tech support, even though technically I'm not supposed to go into the tech stuff. But I digress.

I am, in this very instant, serving in the capacity which I have described above. The summer is beginning to draw to a close, and in theory the beginning of the school year is starting to draw close. I am should be working harder during the month of august as all sorts of administrative stuff starts popping up. Teachers need new web pages, new teachers need web pages, help, etc... However I have come in to work today, 15 minutes early I might add, and find myself with but one minor change to make to the web site. This took me only 5 minutes to figure out. I spent more time in my boss' office asking her how vacation went, and for a more efficient use of my time here. I got a "Good vacation," and a "Well there really isn't anything right now." So now I am faced with a dilemma. I have 2 hours and 20 minutes left of "work" time. My boss knows I have nothing to do. I am here. My hours will be fulfilled, regardless of the amusements I manage to bring upon myself. So, should I depart and disappear, having done that which was assigned to me? Or should I look busy? I could ask my boss to go home, but she might get annoyed at me throwing her another problem to deal with in her busy day. After all, it’s not her fault everything is in working order. Besides it's more fun the other way. I know! Perhaps I should write! Wait a minute.... ARGHHHHH!!!!

What strikes me the most, however, is not my dilemma or my boredom, but the fact that what is occurring with me right now flies straight in the face of years of economic theory. One of the many things which economics tries to show us is how to use limited resources in the most efficient manner. Labour, as we all know, is one of the most important resources which planet earth possesses. I have a BA in Economics, I am halfway through my Masters degree, I have kickass grades, I speak three languages fairly well, I am a part time computer nerd, I have travelled to almost 30 countries, and been exposed to countless cultures, ways of life. One would think that the Department of Economics could use the 3 hours a week which I dedicate to them more efficiently than giving me a 5 minute job, and then expecting me to well.... I don't know, but I am being paid for this. Now most people would kill to have a part time job working at school sitting on your ass in front of a computer with internet access and a couple of cute girls to chat with. But somehow this use of my time feels fundamentally wrong. There is value associated with free time obtained when shirking responsibility, but here I cannot feel that satisfaction because, well I've got nothing to do anyway! I know, I shouldn't complain, but well blah.

I think I’m going to chat up someone.

No comments: