Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Once upon a time in a land not so far away the people of the land decided to get together to decide how to solve some of the problems which had arisen over the course of the past four years. The people were bitterly divided on the solutions to many things, and a fierce debate ensued. What occurred exactly is entirely too complex for anyone to say, and the events will probably remain shrouded in mystery forever. What we are certain of however, is that both sides fell in behind certain leaders who’s vision of the future more or less coincided with their own. After much debate, both civil and bitter, votes were cast and much to nobody’s surprise the people opted for the more adventurous route. “May we live in interesting times!” they cried. Indeed the next four years will be interesting for everyone including the land’s neighbors. If anything we won’t be bored.

I love economics. It allows us to create simple worlds with simple assumptions and simple people which bring us to complex solutions in an attempt to explain the way things really are in the world. The fact of the matter is that we are useless. No one listens to what we say unless it suits them, and none of us have the ability to put into practice any of what we learn in this crazy crazy world. The best we can do is live day by day and watch the world make its decisions. Man indeed, is a complex beast far beyond the reach of simple theories and mathematics. We can spend an entire lifetime trying to understand them, and yet time and time again, they never cease to surprise us. I guess this is one of the things that makes man beautiful, our ignorance, our intelligence, our hatred, our desire to do good. Everyone has a different image of how the world should be, and everyone has a different idea of how to get there. Some people become so obsessed with their visions that they try and ram it down the throats of other people, sometimes violently. I am guilty in that my own opinion does not coincide with other people’s, but I am graceful even in defeat, and acquiesce peacefully to the decisions of the land. I am no patriot after all. Most people are far more obsessed with the land than myself. It is clear to me, and most of the people living abroad, that there is something which we are not getting. From the outside the choice seems obvious to me, perhaps this is because I’ve been gone so long and have not a subjective viewpoint. I can only hope that I am indeed short sighted, and that the others have it right. Unfortunately I have faith in my own wisdom. Man is stubborn. So am I.

No comments: