Thursday, May 27, 2004

Bitter childish rant incoming. Is it just me or do people’s standards drop more and more as they get older when it comes to the perfect member of the opposite sex? When I was younger I had a perfect image of the perfect woman. Maybe not a physical one, but I knew she had long hair, made funny jokes, turned me on at just the right moments. She was just well… Perfect. However as we get out into the real world we never manage to find people who fit the image. So my question is, should one wait to find the good fit or rather settle for less? It seems to me that the more time passes, the more I become content with settling for an imperfect woman. This really hits at my romantic ego. I am a firm believer that there is at least one person out there who will just click the right way. We will be able to spend the rest of our lives together basking in the glory of our love. Someone who evolves with me in similar ways so as to keep the compatibility strong. However the last two women I was with broke all sorts of basic rules, and I find my standards dropping more and more for want of being loved and sex. This bothers me because no one wants to be alone, and I certainly wouldn’t want to meet the perfect woman without a bit of experience under my belt (That and strong sexual desire). In short, I won’t stand by and wait for it to happen. Plus I figure I boost my chances by going out there and testing the waters so to speak. The fact of the matter, however, is that with every failed relationship, with every unsuccessful approach, I feel like I can lower my standards.

I went on a date today. She called me out which I don’t think has ever happened to me before. I know I shouldn’t be ranting about a failed date on the same day but, anyways I got dragged into a CD store and lectured about how we have to buy CDs to keep the music industry going and how piracy of music is bad. I then stood for two hours while she listened to random music. At one point she sent me out to get some CDs for her while she was listening. Normally this kind of attitude would infuriate me, but I was getting a good vibe. I felt like all my lines were landing (Yah she was hot). We then went to a movie and she spoke the whole time without hushing her voice. I’m surprised no one bitched us. I hate it when people speak during movies. The evening ended with me offering to walk her home and getting a blatant “No I’m sorry you can’t.” I guess I’m bitter cause I felt I was making all sorts of sacrifices and it didn't pay. For once I totally didn’t expect to get bounced. It occurs to me just now that I'm being childish. Ohh well.

Relationships are about compromise. It’s the most important thing a couple needs to learn how to do. But dammit when I was younger I wasn’t going to have to compromise with The One. She was going to be perfect. I guess perfect love doesn’t exist. Somehow it makes me sad. I suppose that in many respects I’m still a child when it comes to these things.

No comments: