Monday, May 10, 2004

Today I would like to reflect upon one of man's greatest hypocrisies. That of helping your fellow man in need. I grew up in some pretty nasty places torn with poverty. I have met people, mostly with good intentions, and positive outlooks on life. All because they don’t know any better and they appreciate what little they have because it is all they have. Living in first world countries with first world salaries, health care etc... We take so much for granted. Many people have no concept of true physical suffering and complain constantly about the boyfriend of some retarded chick too stupid to know he was cheating on her, or the bad boss with a stick up his ass. People commit suicide over not being able to achieve expectations of society, love, hate. But these people who live in fucked up Africa, these guys struggle every day, and at the end of the day if you are still alive, you feel it. There is hardly any suicide in third world countries because people there cling to life ever day, and value it more than we will ever know. We however, on top of our lofty perch of a leather couch with 100 channels, satellite, and TV dinners turn a blind eye to suffering when we see it. This is because we are ashamed and afraid. We know that the injustice and suffering exist everywhere, but we don't do anything about it. If we could just sacrifice 5 US dollars a day we could feed 10 starving people with it. My phone bill, is the equivalent to saving many lives in some parts of the world. The lubricant I purchase to masturbate is worth meals for a month for one man. And yet we do nothing, pretend the problem doesn’t exist, turn a blind eye, and bitch about the moron who scratched your car earlier that day. I have seen all of this and felt guilty, and hypocritical. I have been in the backseat of a Mitsubishi Montero with tinted windows and deliberately ignored looking at a starving child with a rusty tin can, torn clothing, begging, and genuinely hungry. And all because I am ashamed of myself and what I choose to keep.

I once had a friend who wanted to join the Peace Corps and go somewhere to help people. I admire those who take the path for they are better people than I and with good intentions, even most of them do it for the wrong reasons, however that’s besides the point. I told her that the best way if she wanted to make a difference was to go into politics and fight the war from there. Many of these places are plagued with rampant corruption, and although probably not whole problem, I believe that a great deal of the poverty which assails these countries stems from those who strip away what little the place has to begin with. I still believe that I gave her the correct advice, but I don't think that it is enough. With my future salary I would be able to feed, educate, and save thousands of lives. And yet I don’t, and no one else around me does anyway. But that doesn’t make it any more excusable. We are all assholes. We all have a duty to help those suffering around us, but we ignore it. Place the burden on others. We are all selfish, hypocritical. And I am the worst of them all for having seen real shit first hand, and not doing anything to change it.

No comments: