Sunday, May 09, 2004

It is funny how people who are closest to you often are those who are most easy to hurt and those who hurt you most easily. I see numerous examples regarding this. I find it somewhat paradoxical the way that it is those who are closet to you who are most capable of rendering you happy, and also most often, those who lead you into great depression. I look at people who I hardly know, and find out that they are in some shitty situation or near death or suffering, and I show some genuine interested in their well being for about 5 minutes (depending on how little I know them) and poof, they cease to exist as soon as the topic of conversation is changed. However I find out that someone I love has been taking mild shit about me behind my back, and poof, I become furious and obsessive for days (I’m not referring to any one incident just life as a whole). I also find it strange that those people who have done you wrong in the past, still have power to hurt after a long period of readjustment. I’ve been trying to hate some people for a long time, and whenever I face them I feel sadness rather than the de-constructive hatred, or constructive apathy which I want to feel. Loving someone can take such a short period of time, but getting over someone can take forever. I wonder if the opposite is true. I know one can learn to hate someone in a relatively short period of time, but is it as difficult to go to the opposite extreme and learn to love someone you hated quickly? I have had people I've actively disliked for extended periods of time and then had them turn into the best of friends, but have I ever known genuine hatred which did not stem from betrayal? I think not, but maybe I am naive. I wonder at the interpretation of this human feature. Is it that we are a social beast with a primal urge to love? Why is it that we become so vulnerable to those closest to us? Why has evolution bred this obvious and exploitable weakness among humans? Is it that we must be vulnerable to love? Does love make us weak? Does love imply vulnerability. I know that hate can. But then I am not convinced that love’s opposite is hate since there is a fine line between the two. The true negation of all feeling is indifference.

No comments: